Keilor Downs College provides a strong emphasis on Student Leadership across the college at all year levels. The college provides specific targeted programs and opportunities for student involvement and engagement in college life, ensuring strong student participation.
Students Making a Difference (SMAD)
- consists of 48 elected representatives across all Houses and Year levels.
- students meet each week to plan and evaluate fundraising initiatives and address areas of concern to students
- represented on College Council and College Council sub-committees.
Acts of Random Kindness (ARK)
Involving over 300 students, ARK conducts fund raising and community engagement events and activities across the college.
Community Service—Western Health
Students undertake a range of fund raising and ‘community service’ activities in support of Sunshine Hospital and participate in Hospital events.
Key Learning Area (KLA) and Extra Curricula Ambassadors
Selected students act as ‘college ambassadors’ at a range of college events, programs and activities.
Year 11 Peer Leaders undertake leadership training and are assigned to each new Year 7 Home Group, to support students’ transition to secondary school. They participate in:
- training and skill development programs
- individual and group support
- junior camps and excursions, team building and activities coordination.
Sports Leadership Ambassadors
Selected students act as ‘Sports Ambassadors’ within the college and in a range of activities involving local primary schools.
- year 10 students undertake skills and coaching training
- students conduct 8-week training programs each term with local primary schools.
High Resolves—Global Citizenship Program
- all Year 8 students participate throughout the year
- a volunteer group of Year 9 students work on college identified projects.
Read about our student involvement in the following article: Setting Out On The Road To Global Citizenship
Find more information at www.highresolves.org
Safe Schools Coalition
Keilor Downs College is a participating member of the Safe Schools Coalition, which aims to promote a safe environment for all students regardless of gender or sexual orientation.
The program raises awareness about anti-bullying, anti-racism and anti-homophobia.